As it turns out, and we learned this the hard way, a vaulted ceiling is extremely difficult to work on when doing DIY. Since we didn't own a ladder or any equipment tall enough to get us all the way up to this ceiling, my husband came up with the ingenious idea of building a catwalk to span this room and that could be moved at intervals across the room and enable him to safely work in this high space. While he was working, I fell in love with the idea of just keeping a little walk, perhaps lined with books. What can I say, I'm a Shakespearean romance kinda girl and a I love a good balcony. Since we're doing this all ourselves and adjusting our plans and ideas as we go, we decided to keep the catwalk and incorporate it into the room.
After the catwalk was built, I learned another lesson: narrow extraneous elevated spaces are extremely hard to decorate. Nothing really fit in this space. Everything was too wide. I may still turn this into a library wall, but it will require us to custom build shelving that's not so deep it takes up all the walking space. For now I'm thinking of lining the railing with a box herb garden or vine plants to dangle over the railing. To be continued.....




Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by! I read every comment and I always try to respond. This is a polite and respectful blog, so please keep your comments polite and respectful too, or I will delete them. ;)
I ALSO DO NOT PUBLISH COMMENTS WHICH ARE INTENDED TO DIRECT TRAFFIC TO ANOTHER BLOG OR WEBSITE! It's cheap and tacky, so don't do it.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.