Monday, July 27, 2026

The Pajamafication of Style

Have you noticed that there is less and less style out there? Where are the people with style? Why is every one out there walking around in some kind of co-opted sleep or athletic wear when they are neither sleeping nor athletic? Why? My two favorite fashion snobs recently referred to it as the pajamafication of America. In other words. People are trying to make laziness and apathy seem like a style, but it's not.  


Everywhere I go everyone looks the same. No matter the weather; no matter the occasion.  The dress code in this country is: Ultra (almost shamefully) Casual.  I went to a funeral a few weeks ago and was surprised to be the only one  not just wearing black, but dressed up in any way.  I've been to a few weddings like that too.  Church? Check.  Holidays? Check.  Work? School?  A nice dinner out? Check, check, and check.  No one dresses up for anything and that stinks, because it's not an income issue; it's an effort issue.  


Not only does no one dress up, no one dresses out.  No one dresses differently from anyone else anymore either.  Where are the rockabillies, the punks, the mods and twees?  Where are the goths, steampunks, cowboys, and skaters?  Coquettes, preppies, anyone? Where are all the new fashion groups people are inventing?  Where is anyone wearing anything other than disgusting athlesiure or sloppy jeans and tees?  I'm going to say this again because it bears repeating: Finances are not the explanation.  Creativity and effort are free.  A lot of the very best fashion niches were based on having no money and still creating outfits that had maximum self expression.  


Where'd they all go?  And, not on social media, it's easy enough to fake style there.  Where are the fashion subcultures, the interesting, self expressive people in real life?  I'm beyond bored with jeans, t shirts, athleisure slop and the complete lack of effort that goes into wearing them.  (Although, I will say that it's much more physically demanding to wiggle into stretchy pants than it is to just slip on a dress, so the effort saved is mainly...mental? spiritual?)  If you see the any of the niches that used to say I am me, I'm unique, and I want to I express it, will you tell them I'm looking for them, because I really miss them.


Outfit Info:  Bernie Dexter Polka Dot Dress and Petticoat are thrifted, Bag is vintage, YeMak Sweater, B.A.I.T. Heels

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I read every comment and I always try to respond. This is a polite and respectful blog, so please keep your comments polite and respectful too, or I will delete them. ;)
I ALSO DO NOT PUBLISH COMMENTS WHICH ARE INTENDED TO DIRECT TRAFFIC TO ANOTHER BLOG OR WEBSITE! It's cheap and tacky, so don't do it.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

© Bleu Avenue. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.