Thursday, August 6, 2026

The Library: Part 5--Windows

At long last, the penultimate installment in this single room renovation that I have poured so much heart, soul, and blog posting into.  I wanted this wall to have windows in it.  Why?  Because I grew up in a home that had been added onto and had a window over the kitchen sink that looked into...the laundry room...and I loved it!  I love quirky design features like that and so does Mr. Bleu, and since we are doing the work ourselves, we get to do whatever we want.  Originally I wanted to do the wall entirely of windows, but Mr. Bleu feared this would have some support issues, so when I came home, he had framed up the walls and left room for only one window on each side.

Was I disappointed to not have the thing I wanted?  Of course, but safety first!  Plus, I sort of felt like the single windows made this room look more like an old Victorian Bookstore, so I'm leaning into it.  It's been really interesting to change and adapt our designs as we go along.  I can't say that the visions I had in the beginning are the same as the finished products, but I'm happy with it.
Since we have two different colors on the walls, I had to strip and then paint these antique windows to match each side.  I had to do the same with the window framing, drawing a line down the center and painting each side to match.  It was one of those projects that I thought I could get done in about 30 minutes but ended up taking me about 5 hours.  At this point, I'm probably just never going to learn.
Both windows are now installed and open to promote air flow.  I haven't yet found the right curtains for the library side windows, but I remain hopeful.  Also, as you can see, we still have a ways to go in the library, finishing the underside of the cat walk and doing all the trim
And, since this is a home renovation post, you already know what I'm going to say next, right?  To be continued....

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I read every comment and I always try to respond. This is a polite and respectful blog, so please keep your comments polite and respectful too, or I will delete them. ;)
I ALSO DO NOT PUBLISH COMMENTS WHICH ARE INTENDED TO DIRECT TRAFFIC TO ANOTHER BLOG OR WEBSITE! It's cheap and tacky, so don't do it.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

© Bleu Avenue. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.